This exercise asks the participants to pass the word 'ha' around a circle. This activity is generally more effective when used during the later stage of the training program or session.
- Time: Approximately 5 to 7 minutes.
- Group Size: Best suited for a group of 20 or fewer participants.
- Space Required: A room that has the potential for flexible seating.
- Material Needed: None.
- The trainer first asks the group members to form a circular seating arrangement.
- When the participants are seated. the group leader explains that the object of this game is for the participants, without laughing, to pass the word "ha" around the circle.
- The trainer then designates one participant to be the head of the circle. That participant begins the game by saving
- The person sitting to his or her right must repeat the "ha" and then say another "ha." The third person must say ha ha and then given an additional "ha." In this manner the "ha" continues around the circle.
The game ends when all of the participants. trying not to laugh (a virtual impossibility), have repeated the "ha's" that preceded them and then added their own "ha."
- The trainer may use another word in place of "ha." For example: "yuk," "har," or "tee hee."
- The group leader may ask all of the participants to repeat the "ha's." stopping only to let the person whose turn it is pipe in with his or her own.
- The trainer may continue the exercise for five minutes. regardless of how many times the "ha's" go around the circle.