Collages are simple in concept, but are an expressive exercise. They can be done in small form on construction paper, as mobiles, or best of all (for youth) by tracing around the person onto large pieces of paper, then filling the inside space or around the perimeter.
A large collection of old magazines is useful, but you could also have:
- Fabrics of various colours, patterns, and textures.
- Gems / stones
- Coloured sand
- Cord, braid, wool, or rope
...or any other decorative content, including the person's own words and artwork.
Ask participants to select content/pictures that say something about themselves, attracts them, or speaks to them:
- How/who they are right now
- What they would like to be
- What's missing inside them, that they wish was there (or wish for more of)